July 19th
Today we figured out what a typical day will be for us at the Institute. The kids read, colored, played with dolls and
played games on various electronic screens.
I worked on one of the three boxes of glass from the Madaba Burnt
Palace project that brought me here to Jordan as a Publication Fellow, and
Jason went to a lecture about new techniques for photographing inscriptions in
Wadi Rum. Jason and Eva came up with a
schedule for the rest of our time here.
Be sure to note the family coloring time that is listed for each
morning.
The biggest news was that power went out for 20-30 minutes. Because it’s so hot, there had been notices
that there would be brown-outs periodically because the city was having a hard
time keeping up with electricity demand.
If my kids learned nothing else, I hope they came away from the
experience knowing NOT to open the fridge during a power outage. Since we had to tell them on 5 different
occasions, they had plenty of opportunity to absorb that information! I’ve learned I should keep my electronics
fully charged when possible.
That evening we watched the pilot of the TV show Eureka
http://www.syfy.com/eureka/ It's about a town of really smart people who don't always do smart things (Hmm..). We brought the first 4.5 seasons on DVD,
though Eli has to be watching something else on one of our computers while we
do because some of the themes freak him out.
Like the episode where the world is going to end via a doomsday device, or the one where it's going to end due to a failed high school science fair project.
Since I’m not afraid to admit to coloring, I’ll tell you
that while watching Eureka I was working on one of the coloring books I brought for
just that purpose (Decorative Tile Designs):
http://store.doverpublications.com/048645195x.html
After a week of drawing non-stop, you’d think I wouldn’t find this relaxing,
but I do.
The biggest question is what
color pencil to choose next.
It’s really
soothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment